Cover / cape for a backpack — a piece of waterproof fabric cut in a certain way. Protects the backpack from rain, snow, dirt, dust, mechanical damage. The cover / cape retains the original appearance of the backpack for a long time. It is used by tourists, fishermen, hunters, mushroom pickers and other outdoor enthusiasts.
Important: cover / cape is made of thin and light materials. Therefore, during operation, it wears out over time, loses its waterproof properties and needs to be replaced regularly.
It is good if the cover / cape itself is equipped with a bag made of waterproof material. This allows you to compactly fold even a wet model and place it in a backpack.
Evaluate the quality of the seams: they must be hermetically glued. Otherwise, the cover / cape will let moisture through.
Case - completely covers the backpack, except for the belt and shoulder straps. Occurs most often. There are two types of covers.
- Cover with an elastic band — quickly put on / removed, but due to the presence of a bottom it is not practical enough. Such a model wears out and accumulates water that gets inside, which negatively affects the backpack and can wet its contents. The cover can fly off the backpack in windy weather.
- Case with straps / laces — unlike the previous version, it does not have a bottom. This product lasts longer and does not collect moisture. This cover is better than the analogue on the elastic band transfers strong gusts of wind. Due to the screed, the model can be turned into a case with a bottom, if the backpack is relatively small.
Important: the model with an elastic band should be additionally attached to the backpack by fixing the tie on the cargo loop of the backpack. But tie a cover with straps / laces with strong knots so that they do not spread on a hike and in strong winds.
Cape - completely covers the backpack and the person. Thus, the cape protects the tourist from natural influences, but at the same time creates inconvenience when moving.
Polyester – resistant to wear and UV rays, dries quickly. The disadvantage is a lot of weight.
Nylon - There are two types.
- With polyurethane impregnation (PU Nylon) — wear-resistant, dries quickly, lighter than polyester. Minus — sensitivity to UV rays.
- With silicone impregnation (silnylon, Si Nylon) — compares favorably with the previous variety of nylon in light weight and longer service life. Silnylon is resistant to UV rays. The disadvantage is the high price.
Material density – determines the strength and durability of the cover / cape. This parameter is indicated in two ways:
- Deny - the thickness of the threads in the weave (marking example — 60D);
- Thread Count - number of threads in sq. inch in the transverse and longitudinal direction (marking example — 100T).
The higher the number, the denser the material.
For comfortable putting on / taking off, the cover should slightly exceed the size (volume) of the backpack. If the size of the cover is much larger, then the product will impede movement (sail, clinging to branches). Also, the cover should provide comfortable access to the most important niches and pockets of the backpack. The size of the cover is usually adjustable, which allows it to be adjusted to the desired volume of the backpack.
Many manufacturers do not take into account the possibility of wearing a rug (karemat) paired with a backpack. Therefore, for a backpack with a volume of 80–90 liters with a karemat, a cover not for 80–90 liters is suitable, but for a product designed for a volume of 110–120 liters.
The waterproofness of the cover / cape is measured in millimeters of water column (mm w/s). This parameter must be at least 1000 mm/s. Otherwise, the product will not fully protect the backpack from external influences. The maximum that such a cover / cape is capable of is protection from minor damage and dust.
The denser the fabric of the cover / cape, the heavier it is. Also, the weight of the product directly depends on the desired size (the weight of the cover is less than the cape). The weight of most models does not exceed 100–200 g.