Dynamo Stadium is the club’s home stadium of FC Dynamo Kyiv. The capacity of the stadium in 1933 was 18,000 seats, but according to estimates, the stadium can accommodate up to 23,000 fans.
At the beginning of the 20th century, greenhouses were located on the territory of the current stadium, supplying vegetables and fruits to the royal residence — the Mariinsky Palace. There was also a very popular cafe-chantan “Chateau de Fleur” among the townspeople. Different sources describe the entertainment offered to the public in this part of Kyiv in different ways. One thing is certain — the place was not cheap. The Bolshevik regime, which replaced the tsarist autocracy, could not endure this debauchery for a long time. Moreover, after collectivization and industrialization, there was no one to enjoy the old-fashioned joys at the Chateau de Fleur.
Arrangement in the park of the stadium with all, as they say now, infrastructure, was carried out in the early thirties by the law enforcement department of those years — the NKVD. Next to the future office of this unhappy organization (which eventually housed and still operates the government of Ukraine) a stadium was being built. For the construction of the western, northern and eastern stands, the natural slopes of the park were used, and the southern, central stand was initially wooden.
In addition to the football field and the track and field core on the territory of the stadium There were playgrounds for other sports. Later, an outdoor fifty-meter pool with stands was built.
The Dynamo stadium, which opened in 1936, was named after Vsevolod Balitsky, chief of the Ukrainian NKVD. But soon the all-powerful Enkavedist was transferred to the Far East, and then arrested and shot. The Dynamo stadium was quickly named after Nikolai Yezhov, the head of the all-Union NKVD, who, however, very quickly shared the fate of his “predecessor” in the name of the stadium.
Before the start of the Second World War, it was the Dynamo stadium that was the main football arena in Kyiv, it was here that the first victories of the Dynamo team over the teams of Kharkov, Odessa, Moscow, and Leningrad were won.
With the opening of the Khrushchev Central Stadium in Kyiv, big football left the Dnieper park for a long time. Starting from the first post-war years and until the mid-nineties of the last century, all major football events took place on the then Krasnoarmeyskaya Street at the foot of Cherepanova Gora. Only for a short time, in 1979, Dynamo returned to its arena, which was caused by the reconstruction of the Central Stadium for the 1980 Olympic football tournament. This event also helped the Dynamo arena: the rather dilapidated stands and running tracks were repaired, a new scoreboard appeared. At the same time, the current lighting towers also rose above the stadium.
Since 1996, Dynamo Kyiv have been playing their home matches of the championship and the Cup of Ukraine, as well as the qualifying matches of European cups, at their club stadium. After the closure of the Olympic Stadium for reconstruction in preparation for EURO 2012, Dynamo moved to the stadium. VV Lobanovsky for a permanent stay.
In May 2002, after the death of the outstanding football coach Valery Vasilyevich Lobanovsky, the Dynamo Stadium was named after him. In the photo — a monument to Valery Vasilyevich Lobanovsky at the entrance to the Dynamo stadium.
You are sitting on the bench
And the stands are raging nearby
You are sitting on the bench
And we remember LOVE